Thursday, April 30, 2009

Say It Ain't So Belue.

As a lifelong Georgia fan, I heard something that startled me today. Not because of the dialogue, but because of the source. On 680 the fan, former Georgia QB Buck Belue, stated that the Florida Gators will win the SEC in 2009. With as much talent as Urban Meyer has returning to Gainesville, I'm not surprised by the prediction. I am, however stunned to hear such blasphamy from the mouth of a national championship winner at UGA. Well, the conversation on www.680thefan.com only got worse. Belue went on to proclaim UF QB Tim Tebow as the winner of next year's Heisman Trophy Award. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Belue's entitled to his opinion and professionalism, but isn't there an unspoken rule of Dawg-isms? Even if you feel this way, Belue, at least humor the Bulldog Nation by lying.

1 comment:

tcm850 said...

rob,

At least he is talking bout an sec team. I hope that he is correct in his statements, but I do not believe tebow will win the hiesman for 2 reasons:

1. I think he's great, but he still won't put up the stats he's known for. They are going to protect even more than last year, getting him ready for the NFL, and we hope to be letting our future quarterbacks get some serious playing time.

2. Even if he did have the stats, goes undefeated, wins the sec, no voter west of the Mississippi will vote for him. Some rediculous amount left him completely off the ballot last year. I understand if you didn't think he was #1 or even #2, but to not think he was one of the top three players in college football? I think that's crazy, and here is why:

Not only can he play quarterback, and do it well, but he is athletic and tough enough that I would feel comfortable lining him up at the tight end or even full back positions. If he was a little faster, I would even want him as a line backer.

But, I still believe that the sec haters out west won't even put him on their ballot.