Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Game Called Basketball

With all of the excitement surrounding the NFL Draft, I nearly forgot about the NBA playoffs. To be honest, I wish I would have. As I'm typing these words, the Atlanta Hawks are being humiliated in game 3 of their series against Miami. After a very dominant performance in game 1, I thought the Hawks were capable of "shocking" some folks. Unfortunately, the Hawks are only shocking me. Never in my lifetime, have I seen such a heartless lack of effort on the basketball court. Although the Hawks are at their best when their defense creates fast break opportunities, this team is inconsistent and undedicated towards this aspect of the game. Atlanta fought through 82 regular season games, just to secure home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Through three playoff games, they've only fought once.
As a lifelong Hawks fan, I feel ashamed, disgusted, and belittled by any association I have with this team. Hopefully, they'll come out swingin' in Game 4. As for now, I guess I'll go back to watching the NFL Draft.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Sorry bout the poor typing skills. "82 regualr" should read 82 regular...

Anonymous said...

May be you should try one of those typing courses on the internet? I think there is one called "Typing for Fun and Occasionalling Making An Error to Prove You're Not a Bot"! Naaah just teasing from U-No=Who, Bubba of Paulding.

The Hawks are good ... one day and may be the next, but ... then another day comes along and you wonder which team is going to show up. I haven't been following them that closely so am not aware of their injury list. Hopefully, not like my beloved Celtics (who I'm cheering on, but most certainly don't think they're going to repeat ... but stranger things have happened, right?)/

Anyway, look at the bright side ... UGA abd Falcon football is not that far away and UGA donated a few underclassmen to the draft. I hope they do well and don't turn out to be overpriced baggage for their respective teams.

Rob said...

BP,
It's good to hear from you. Couldn't get through that typing class. Something about "No beer allowed." Seems, there may have been a problem (or 12) with that.

As far as the Hawks go, you hit the nail on the head. Seems as if one day they care, but the next...they don't give a shiz-nit! ('Scuse my language).

Don't count your Celtics out. KG and Powe may be done, but Boston still has Allen, Pierce, and Rondo. The Rivers-led C's know how to battle. Doc is an incredible motivator and leader.

As far as the rest of the league goes: Most experts expect James to hoist that elusive NBA trophy. But...those dudes ain't ever right!!

As far as the bright side, I must say this was a (expletive) great day! For the first time in my life, I watched a Georgia Bulldog become the first pick in the NFL Draft. I read somewhere that 1953 was the last time a Dawg was the first player drafted into professional football.

As far as UGA is concerned:
In 2009, the Dawgs will be much worse without Stafford. But, how can any Georgia fans blame him for leaving?
That kid just signed the biggest
NFL contract ever. Ain't that why people go to college? To pursue the career of their choice and get PAID to do so? It was also pretty cool to see Knowshon go to Denver at #12. Great day for UGA!!

Also, love what the Falcons are doing. Tony Gonzalez may be 80 (athlete years) old, but he's still a great weapon. Gramps has got skills. In the draft, they had to get a 300 lb DT. The Ole Miss kid seems impressive. He'd better be, because somebody's gotta stop the run. The safety from Mizzou was a good pick, too.

Catch up with you later, BP.