Monday, November 16, 2009

Ron Simmons

I met Ron Simmons at a local grocery store this morning. It was a honor to shake hands with the man who became the first African American to win the WCW World Championship title. Before his days in the squared circle, Ron Simmons was an All American DT at FSU. He finished 9th in voting for the Heisman trophy in 1979. That's pretty impressive, especially for a defensive lineman. In 2008, Simmons was inducted into the college football Hall of Fame.

During our brief conversation, I became a little star struck. I told Mr. Simmons that I heard the announcers mention his name during a recent FSU game. He said, "What did they say about me?"

I told him that they had been discussing the great tradition at FSU and some of their most impressive players.

"Was it the Clemson game?" he asked.
"I think it was," I responded.

"Well, it's nice to be recognized. I just wish it wasn't during a losing effort," Ron Simmons said with a smile.

To be honest, it was quite a thrill to meet this great man. It's not very often, that you get to spend a few moments with one of the greatest athletes in college football history. I am most familiar with Ron Simmons, for his days in WCW. He was ('scuse my language) DAMN good at his profession.

Click on the title of this post to see Ron Simmons in WCW.

No comments: