Saturday, May 23, 2009

Magic Vs Cavs

Last night, LeBron James saved his Cavaliers from an 0-2 deficit in the eastern conference finals. With 1 little second left and the Cavs down 2, James hit a legendary 3 point shot to give his team the victory. So, the series is tied at one win apiece. Orlando needs to shake off this loss. There's no reason to let this setback deflate their spirit. By winning game 1, the Magic put all of the pressure on Cleveland.

On Sunday, this best of 7 series shifts to central Florida, where the Magic can recapture control of this battle. But, in order for that to happen, Dwight Howard needs to get his hands on the ball. The 6-10 center from Atlanta is unstoppable in the post. Cleveland may have LeBron James, but they don't have an answer for Howard. Give him the ball! In game 2, Dwight scored a scrawny 10 points, but accounted for 18 rebounds. He touched the rock once in the 4th quarter. That is unacceptable. The Magic must put their fate in the hands of their best player. Ilgauskas can't defend him. Neither can Varejao or Ben Wallace. Orlando can win this series, if their offense flows through Dwight Howard.

2 comments:

tcm850 said...

Rob,

I very much agree that Howard is unstoppable in the post and Orlando can win the series if they are able to get him touches in the post. However, I watch him, and I feel like he is not good at posting up, and getting in position for the ball, which is hard for me to believe because of his speed and power. The problem is though, I see it every game. The man is going to score, no doubt, but what the cavs are doing is forcing him out, away from the blocks, and therefore making him one dimensional: goes to his right, and then the hook shot thing he's developed.

In comparing him to lebron, I think they are both unstoppable, so the strategy is; what can I do to limit his touches and/or make his shot more difficult.

What helps Howard so much is Orlando's great 3-point shooting, that causes the defense to expand and therefore clearing the middle for him.

Lebron is just on a mission, and I am just glad to not be someone in his way. I truely want to see Kobe and Lebron go head to head, for 7 games, but if Orlando can pull it out, I fear the hunger that will drive Lebron.

Rob said...

tcm850,
Great insight! In the previous series, Howard questioned Stan Van Gundy, for not calling his number enough on offense. But, if Cleveland is forcing him away from the blocks, Orlando must find another option. Which, they have done. I've been campaigning for Howard to get the ball down low, but guys like Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis have been hitting big shots from the perimeter.

Thought the Magic had game 2. I was stunned, when LeBron hit that 3 to win the game. He is an incredible talent. That was one of the greatest plays I've ever seen.

Kobe vs LeBron would be a lot of fun to watch, but I'm pulling for Orlando and Denver. My reasons are:

1. I'm a homer. Dwight Howard is from Atlanta. If the Hawks can't win, maybe he can.

2. I hate LA!

3. I think David Stern would be thrilled to see LeBron vs Kobe for all the marbles. I hate David Stern.

Great post, man. You opened my eyes a little. It's easy for me to complain about Howard not getting the rock. It's also easy to assume that it's due to poor play calling or execution. Maybe a lot must be said for the Cavalier defense, a group that I labeled unable to stop Howard in the post. Thanks for your input!