Wednesday, September 10, 2008

ECU's Upset Disaster

For the most part, our law enforcement officials do their best to serve and protect us civilians. During the aftermath of ECU's upset victory over #8 West Virginia, I saw sickening and hideous examples of police brutality. As excited Pirates fans rushed the field, police officers body slammed and beat up a few ECU fans. I can not delete these images from my mind. As a helpless ECU fan lay on the ground, a police officer unmercilessly hit him with punch after punch after punch. For a minute or two, I was expecting a UFC referee to step in and call the match over. The fan was unable to defend himself at the moment. All the officer had to do was handcuff him and move on, if the situation called for such action. Instead, the poor civilian had his lights punched out by someone he's not allowed to hit. ECU has launched an investigation into the matter. My only fear is that the case will be swept under the rug. As a law abiding citizen of the United States of America, I demand higher standards from our law enforcement officials. Where is the justice in such intolerable and unnecessary acts? To serve and protect does not equal to beat up and make examples of. In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty, not presumed guilty and subject to beat down until proven innocent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIqNvh2UtU

Click on "Watch in High Quality" option. While viewing the first video, focus on police officers behind the endzone, near the big yellow post. If you look closely, you'll see them bashing ECU students/fans.

The following link has a better view, but eventually loses sound as the video is rewound and played again in slow motion. The pictures are quite telling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDYtuAjguFg

1 comment:

tcm850 said...

I want to start out by saying that I agree with you but to make this comment more interesting, I am going to argue the other side.

At every college football game I have attended, there are plenty of police officers that are present to enforce the rules. Some stadiums have different views on how strict to be. The problems I have with fans rushing the field are:
It tears up the field worse.
Tearing down goalposts is expensive.
Big crowds running around are dangerous and uncontrollable.

On top of those problems, it was ECU trying to celebrate on West Virginia's field. If the police didn't do something about it, I know as a player, I would have. Even though they lost, trampling their field is disrespectful. Granted that was a huge upset, and yes, ECU does deserve to be excited and stick out their chest. They now have back-to-back weeks of being the underdogs and pulling out the win.
Like I said, I do not condone the police officers for beating on fans, but here is a personal story about the way they handle it setting an example.

At Mississippi State a couple years ago, Mississippi State was considered one of the worst teams in the nation; somehow they pulled off the home win against Florida. I was at the game, and with everyone else, wanted to hop the wall and run onto the field (I am a Florida fan, but thought it would be fun, plus if it cost them money to put the field goals back up and I can tear up their field, then I thought I would feel better about the loss). Anyways, as soon as the clock expired, people just poured over the wall and police officers were tackling everyone they can. As I hopped over, I saw them, and immediately hopped back over.
Now, I think a solution would be for announcements to be made, that physical action will be taken against anyone who steps onto the field. I did not hear such warning but think if they would give one, people would still jump over, but it would keep the school from having to worry about law suits.