Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Owl Season

Looking at my picks for the first week of SEC football left some of you confused by at least one prediction. And, I could be the only person not decked out in the Red,White,and Blue of an FAU uniform, who believes they can App State the Mighty Gators in Gainesville. But I don't mind.

"Man, how you gonna do my team like that?" responded one reader via email.
"Have you lost your mind? I know you love them Dogs but Florida ain't losing to FAU!" replied another.

Guess we'll have to wait until Saturday to find out. So, here's what I do know. Florida Atlantic returns 5 starters from an offensive line, that did underachieve at times in 2009. Led by senior center, Jimmy Colley, this unit needs to play at a very high level, if the Owls are gonna have any chance of making me look less silly.

I'll also be keeping a close eye on senior running back, Alfred Morris. The Pensacola native has rushed for 2,343 yards and 18 touchdown during his FAU career and averages 4.7 yards per carry. At 5'11 and 220 pounds, Morris has the size and talent to wear a defense down, throughout the course of a four quarter affair.

In 2009, to say the FAU offense was anemic might be an insult to the term. Despite a 928 yard effort by Morris, the Owls averaged a lowly 16.8 points per game. That won't get it done this Saturday. However, this is a different season. As a matter of fact, it just might be Owl season in the sunshine state.

Click on the title of this post.

No comments: