Sunday, June 13, 2010

Trojans in Trouble

Over the last few days, people have been asking me what I think about the massive sanctions USC recently received from the NCAA. Well, I've got no problem with the ruling. Seems like a six degrees of Kevin Bacon-esque justice got served to ole Lane Kiffin. The one year lead Volunteer worked under Pete Carroll as an assistant coach in 2004. That's when Reggie Bush allegedly took improper benefits from a speculated agent/booster.

The Kiffin led Trojans will forfeit 30 scholarships over the next 3 seasons and be banned from bowling over the next 2 years. The case is pending an appeal from USC. Athletic Director Mike Garrett is quoted in the LA Times as saying, "As I read the decision by the NCAA, I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy. They wish they all were Trojans... Today I got a purpose for really wanting to dominate for another ten years." Dude sounds bitter, but who am I to judge?

Let's reserve that right for someone a little closer to the situation. If columnist T.J. Simers had his wish, Garrett wouldn't be around the program for another ten seconds. To read his article in the LA Times, click on the title of this post. I also encourage you to check out the opinions of Gary Klein and David Wharton. They provide good insight for the best paper on the west coast.

No comments: