Saturday, November 28, 2009

Dominique Wilkins

Growing up in Marietta, I often heard about the legendary Blue Devil and Supersonic career of a sharp shooter named Dale Ellis. I attended his basketball camps and once "beat him" at a game called bump. That was always fun.

But, Dominique Wilkins was my hero. He was a man, who rattled rims inside the Omni, the Boston Garden, and every NBA arena he walked into. Wilkins was the greatest athlete I have ever seen. As a kid, I would religiously watch the Hawks on our cable-less TV. The picture used to fade in and out at times. But, no matter how cloudy the reception became, Dominique was always visible. I can remember trying to emulate his dunks on my Nerf hoops. Unfortunately for those thin plastic rims, I often got so excited that I would destroy them, Darrell Dawkins style.

Dominique had what they call "once in a lifetime" talent. He was Babe Ruth to me. The Wilkins led Hawks may not have won an NBA title, but I'm thankful to have grown up watching #21 play the game.

Click on the title of this post, to view highlights of Dominique Wilkins.

1 comment:

austin rivers said...

Dominique combined power with finesse like no player before him or since him has been able to replicate. He is one of the most underrated players in NBA history, and was overlooked because he didnt have a flashy persona.